Self-Hypnosis: A Simple Three Step Method
Step 1: Pre-Sleep Technique
- When you go to bed, starting tonight and continuing for the next 7 days, just before you are ready to fall asleep—give yourself the following suggestion 10 times:
“Every day in every way, I get better and better.”
While you are saying the suggestion, imagine yourself in any way you can, getting better and better.
- In order not to fall asleep and not to lose count, every time you say the suggestion press down with each finger of your right hand. Then, continue with each finger of your left hand until you’ve completed the suggestion 10 times.
- This may be you first attempt at learning to effectively program yourself through suggestion. It is of the utmost importance to do this exercise every night without falling asleep until you’ve completed the 10 repetitions.
- You are beginning to establish a habit pattern of properly programming yourself by giving yourself positive suggestions before going to sleep. The next day, you’ll find yourself reacting very positively to that suggestion.
Step 2: Induction
- Continue doing Step 1, the Pre-Sleep Technique you learned.
- In addition, you are to do the following:
Twice a day – once in the morning or at noon, and once in the early evening – you will hypnotize yourself, stay in hypnosis for 2-3 minutes, and then wake yourself up.
Sit in a comfortable chair with your back supported.
Focus your attention, effortlessly, on a spot opposite you, slightly above eye level.
Take three deep breaths, slowly. As you inhale your third breath, hold it for 3 full seconds as you count backwards: 3….2….1.
Close your eyes, exhale, RELAX, and allow yourself to go into a deep, sound, hypnotic rest.
- You are to remain in hypnosis for approximately 2-3 minutes by counting down slowly from twenty five to one. (Note: It will help if you allow yourself to visualize or imagine a number being written on a blackboard or shown on a computer as you count backwards.
- To awaken, just count forward from one to three and you will awaken refreshed and alert, ready to go about your business in an energetic way.
- Do this exercise twice a day for seven days, after which you will be ready to give yourself beneficial suggestions.
Step 3: Programmed Suggestion
- The third step in self-hypnosis is to be started one week after you complete the exercises for Step 1 and Step 2. Once you start Step 3, you no longer have to do Step 2.
- For Step 3, you need a 3 x 5 card or a business card, which you can easily carry with you at all times. You are to write the suggestion you’ve prepared for yourself which meets the criteria of being Positive, Simple, Believable, Measurable – and it should carry a Reward. Always state your suggestion in the present tense.
- Again, sit down and choose a spot opposite you, slightly above eye level. Hold the card in front of the spot and read the suggestion to yourself three (3) times. Make sure the words on the card are believable to you and allow yourself to imagine accomplishing what is written on the card. Use your imagination.
- You’ve written your suggestion on a card – chosen your spot – read the suggestion to yourself three times – now drop the card and take a deep breath. Exhale. Take your second deep breath. Exhale. Now, take your third deep breath – hold it – close your eyes – count backward from 3 to 1. Exhale and go deep into hypnosis.
- At this point, instead of counting backward , allow the suggestion to repeat over and over in your subconscious mind. At the same time, imagine that you are carrying out your suggestion.
You’ll find that at times the words start to break up and become fragmented. That’s perfectly okay. The important words or phrases will come through to you.
In approximately 2-3 minutes you’ll have a feeling it’s time to stop and wake up. (Note: this time was set when you established a habit pattern in Step 2.) At this point, just count forward 1…2…3…open your eyes and go about your business, feeling refreshed and relaxed in every way.
Note: Give yourself time to allow the suggestions to take hold. It can take up to three weeks to start getting the benefits related to your suggestion.